Thursday, August 16, 2007

Neil Hollis Ginsberg........

So there it is! That is the name that we have picked for our baby. I was able to call my Grandfather last night and talk to him and tell him that we are using his name!
Neil was Coby's father's name. His father passed away when Coby was only 3 years old. Hollis is my grandfathers name. He is still alive and kicking strong!

What a wonderful memory I will always have when I told my grandfather we were going to use his name. I had called my grandmother and was talking to her for about 30 min. (those of you who are family know what I mean about talking to grandma.) She is in her 80's and can carry on a conversation with anyone, anywhere about anything.....she has the mind of a 30 year old! So she put me on speaker phone and I told them both the name, and then grandma says, "what did you say?" so I said it again and again, they didn't understand me.....so I said it a 3rd time and my grandfather said, "Hollis....like h.o.l.l.i.s?" My reply was, "Yes Grandpa, like your name, Hollis."

So my grandmother's laughter was the only thing I heard and then she said, "honey, your grandpa can't talk right now, you got him all choked up." And then I heard my grandmother say, "Grandpa (she calls him that), you have tears in your eyes, oh honey don't cry." And then for the next 10 min. I didn't hear a word from my grandfather.....he was that happy! My grandma then went on to describe to me what grandpa was doing. She said he was smiling and had tears, and was so happy and she said that Neil Hollis was a wonderful name! My Grandfather is such a strong man with such a sincere soft heart.

Finally she told Grandpa to say something to me and she left the room because she had company that just arrived. So grandpa got on the phone and said, "I am so honored that you chose my name." I could hear him choke up again and I told him that the reason I wanted to use Hollis was because he is one of the most God fearing man that I know. His love for Christ is what leads his life. My grandfather has such a wonderful life story and such a servants heart for our Lord. The best way that I can explain it is how Paul explains it in Romans by saying that he is a "bond servant" of Christ. He said that he 'willingly" serves His Lord. That is my grandfather.....he willingly serves Christ and his family and that is how I have always know him to be. I told my grandpa that our son will hold such a solid name of his grandfather and great grandfather. He told me he loved me and couldn't wait to see our baby. How perfectly he put it........we are all waiting to see our baby!

What joy that brought to Coby and I knowing that our son will bring such joy to our family and friends. Coby and I can't wait to be parents....but we also can't wait to share our son with all of you! He will truly be a gift! We have to travel across the world to get him, but once we receive him.....what a joy that will bring! "Praise God from whom all blessings come!"

7 comments:

Deb said...

What a wonderful story and memory to hold and tell your son. You grandfather sounds like a great man.

Jane and Jim said...

That's a very healthy, powerful sounding name - love it! And I love the Grandpa story - so sweet.

Becky and Keith said...

Mascara alert! What a great story - I got teary eyed just reading your Grandpa's reaction! What a wonderful name - one your son will be so happy to have.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I LOVE it! I was so touched by your Grandpa Hollis's reaction. How incredibly sweet!

Have you decided if you'll call him Neil, Hollis, or Neil Hollis? I love all of them!!

Oh, I just can't wait to hear when you have the news that it's time to meet your little one.

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

I love your grandpa's response. He sounds like a very sweet man! I can't wait to hear that little Neal is ready for you!

Troy and Rachel said...

I love the name!! We can't wait to hear when you get the news!!

Kathryn said...

That is such a wonderful story about your grandfather finding out that his great great-grandson will have his name as a middle name! Totally cheers me up and gives me the warm fuzzies.