Sunday, September 30, 2007

Have you ever felt like you were...

The butt of a joke and everyone is in on it but you. Standby for the rest of that story....

Brandy and I arm wrestled for who would get to blog and naturally, I won, so I get to occupy the keyboard for this post.

My sister-in-law Lucy always says I'm a walking movie quote so I'm not going to disappoint in this blog.

You know that scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding where Gus is introducing the family to Ian Miller's parents and he says, "this is my brother Nick and these are his kids, Nick, Nick, Nick, Nicko, Nicki"?....

Well we come out of the hotel this morning and meet up with Natasha who quickly tells us her name is actually Natalia but prefers to be called Natasha. Thinking nothing of it, we get in the car, that seats 6, but has 7 in it, and get introduced to everyone, and it goes something like this...."this is Brandy and Coby. Brandy and Coby, this is Natalia, Natalia Natalia, and of course I'm Natasha."

So we make the 25 minute drive to the orphanage with Brandy essentially sitting on my lap because Natalia #2 is crammed in next to her and all the way (here comes the part about being the butt of a joke) Natalia, Natalia and Natashia having a deep, and when I say deep, I mean LOUD, conversation that goes something like, "sdlkfjsadofsa0fudosaiuf (laughter really LOUD), dfasdfasdlkfjaklsdfjklsa (laughter really LOUD), odfjwaiodfusaiopdufio (laughter really LOUD)."

All I could really think they were talking about was Brandy's scarf that was wrapped around her shoulders.

So we show up again to the Baby Home to see our little guy for the 2nd day and we get out of the car really annoyed and really deaf. And because it was raining the day before, we were required to put the shower caps on our shoes again which was great for everyone who had a size 10 shoe and under. I however was having a few issues because of my size 14 shoes. I immediately ripped two of them trying to get them on and start looking around for some crazy glue because I figure I was going to have to take two of them and glue them together. And to make matter worse, Natalia, Natalia, Natalia and Brandy are gone because they had no problem getting the on. Finally I was able carefully get them on (don't worry, we have pictures of this) and we were on our way.

We went into Ludmila's (the orphanage director) office and within 5 minutes, our little man was brought in. He definitely looked like they just woke him up because he wasn't really sure where he was but took about 30 seconds before he gave us the look of, "hey, you guys look familiar. You were the ones that brought me that stupid orange stuffed animal thing from the grocery store, that smelled like the airplane you rode in on (see blog below if you don't get it) and those really cool cars. "

Our man went straight to me and I picked him up. The ladies in the orphanage immediately took us to the same room we were in yesterday and left us alone.

Brandy pulled out the Noah's ark blanket her mom made for him and another stuffed animal and more cars and put them on the floor.

Well, he went straight for the blanket, and it was the cutest thing...he grabbed it and started bunching it in a ball grabbing all the corners. When he had it the way he liked it, he put his head down on it and fell asleep. We are starting to get the feeling we are boring him.

It was really cute but at the same time, we only got an hour and a half with him and wanted to spend more time bonding and playing with him. From 10-12 is his usual naptime so we just happen to be screwing that up for him.

So we let him sleep for about 15 minutes and then decided to wake him up. He woke up and wasn't cranky at all. He immediately started smiling when we were tickling him and playing with the toys with him.

Brandy then decide to stand him up and walk him around the room. She would walk him in a big circle around the outside of it and then when they got within 10 feet of me, she would let him go an I would have my arms out. He would then run to me and put his arms out as if to say, catch me. It was really sweat. He would hug me as soon as he got to me.

We then would sit on opposite ends of the room and hold out our arms. He just went back and forth to each of us with his arms out and was such a cuddle bug when he would get to us always laughing and smiling.

So our time was up and we said goodbye until tomorrow, but before we did, I made the mistake of pulling out my cell phone and showing it to him. He grabbed it and kept flipping it around and would not let go. (I'm pretty sure, even though he's not blood, he's definitely a product of me)

The doctor finally came in at Noon and said our time was up. We said goodbye, took my phone back (which he wasn't thrilled about) and gave him his blanket to sleep with.

We're not sure how we're going to be able to say goodbye tomorrow when it will be the last time we get to see him until we come back.

O.K.....wipe your tears away.

After leaving the orphanage, it was more of the Natalia, Natalia and Natalia hour. This time I think I picked up on them making fun of me putting the shower caps on my shoes but that's neither hear nor there.

So...we're signing off now. We'll be back with you tomorrow. Thanks for all your responses. Keep them coming. We love reading them...it helps us feel like we have some communication from this huge isolated island we feel like we're on.

Love,
Coby and Brandy

P.S. Last night we were having dinner in the hotel restaurant and we met a couple from Idaho who were adopting a son and were picking him up in the morning. It was nice to speak English to someone else again. We saw little Roman this morning as we were leaving. He is cute but cried as soon as I said hi to him. He must not like Nashvillians :-)

P.S.S. Sarah, how are Pebbles, Trot, Bam Bam and Ashland Kitty? Brandy says to give them all extra kisses and hugs.

P.S.S.S. Dana, I saw the score of the game and I'm really glad I didn't watch it. But how the hell could we fall to #2 without a loss?!!!

P.S.S.S.S. Holly, now I know what you were smelling that you thought was pork loins.

8 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

I'm am so glad to hear how well your first two visits went with the little guy!! What a relief! I hope today's visit goes just as well and you have a safe trip home. How exciting to have met your little guy! P.S. Love the humor in these posts - you have me laughing out loud - my cube neighbors must think I'm nuts!

Troy and Rachel said...

Sounds like another great visit with your little man. He sounds like a good natured child. The whole shoe covers totally cracks me up. I can see Troy now trying to put them on. Like Becky, I have been cracking up at work and the office must think I'm crazy!

MandyJo013078 said...

Even though the ride to the orphanage wasn't the best - I'm glad you two had a good time with little Neil. I thought what he did with the blanket was so cute! Anyway I'm glad you are having such a good time with him and bonding! That is wonderful! Take lots of pictures and video. Can't wait to hear about tomorrow's visit!
MandyJo

Jane and Jim said...

Sounds like you've got your little man! It's going to be co hard tomorrow, I can only imagine. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.
Jane & Jim

Anonymous said...

We are glad that things are going well. I really enjoy reading all about your adventures. You could make a movie!! We can't wait to hear more about it when you get home and hopefully see some pictures. We pray for you each day and night!! Love the LeGate's.

Anonymous said...

We all are keeping up on your adventures here in the office! I am lucky Amanda was reading at the same time, so we both look like looney tunes laughing at our computers.

Oh and Coby, this whole #2 thing is crazy talk! I mean, we played a horrible game, and should have lost. But I'm pretty sure this is the biggest example of east coast bias yet. It's ok though, because LSU has to hope that it can beat up on a hungry Florida team and we get to cake walk through Stanford this weekend. I see #1 in our near future!

Safta Datya said...

Once again you made me laugh and cry at the same time. How wonderful your experience is turning out to be. It was meant to be. Neil has many things in common with you. He likes balls, he bunches up the blanket and falls asleep on it, he falls asleep while others are visiting, need I say more? Tomorrow will be hard but remember it's only for a short time and then you'll have Neil for the rest of your lives. Can't wait to see pictures and hear stories from you in person. Have a safe trip home and call as soon as you can.
All my love, Safta Datya

Carey and Norman said...

I'm so glad your visits are going so well. It sounds like your time together has been great and he is a very happy child. I'm sure you have just enjoyed every moment of your visits with Neil. You will also love having all the video when you return home. I hope it wasn't hard to say goodbye.

Loved the Natalia exerpt. It was great. We have belly laughed at just thinking of you in that van and the conversations going on around you as you drove to the orphanage. Maybe you should beef up on your Russian before trip # 2! That or Brandy could change her name to Natalia (Natasha for short). Ha.