Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Quick Riddle For Ya

What do you get when you combine scalding hot tea, two huge shortbread cookies and a 16 month old baby who doesn't feel well?

Give up?.....That's right an explosion in the middle of the nursery when we were playing with him.

You can add, nasty poopy diapers to the list of smells we've experience in Russia.

We were picked up at 8:30 this morning by Natasha and our driver and driven to the orphanage. Before we got there, we had to stop and buy him diapers. (It's customary for adoptive parents to buy them for the baby before going home)

We got there earlier today because we asked to be able to spend some time with him at a different time then his usual nap time.

They brought our little man to us and we went to the play room to hang out. We also requested that a couple of his caretakers hang out with us for a little while to see him truly interact in his "environment."

They also took us up to his room and let him play with his best friend and some of his other toys. (This is the room where all his pictures that we had emailed to us were taken in)

He really liked this book that played music. In fact, he would dance to the different songs. It's really cute and of course we have video of it. He's going to like music city I think. It will only be a matter of time that he's doing the two-step at the Wildhorse.

Anyways, we took him back to the play room we've been hanging out with him in and they let us be with him alone. A short time later, a nurse walked in with two huge shortbread cookies and a glass of the hot tea.

She then told us this.... "sdkjslfjsdkl....shidoshodifhsiodf.....shdioshfiosdhfiosh...shidohsfdihs...iondfnso\rhhbfh. Da?"

I'm pretty sure she was giving us instructions on how to feed him but for all we know, she could've been giving them to us as a little snack because she thought we might've been hungry. Maybe that's why he had the explosion...we weren't supposed to be feeding him. I guess a hint would've been Brandy having to cram them in his mouth....just kidding.

Anyways, we fed him the cookies and tea, which was a lot of fun. He's a great eater but wanted to hold a piece of cookie in each hand while we fed him.

But during the whole time we spent with him this morning, we could tell he seemed a little lathargic and we could tell he had something in his chest.

Our thoughts were answered pretty quickly when within a minute of each other, he let out a huge cough to clear his lungs and then had the "explosion" we mentioned earlier. And did we mention the smell?

The poor little man....and the poor big daddy and mommy. Wow that smelled bad. Did we mention that?

Anyways, I went to go find a caretaker to get us a diaper while Brandy stayed in the room with him. When I came back, she was cleaning him with paper towels because he had another episode while I was gone. We are jumping into this thing feet (or nose) first.

The caretaker came and took him to change him and just then, Natasha came and said are you ready to go?

But we did get some good news, we get to go back again this afternoon and spend another hour and a half with him. So we haven't said our goodbyes yet.

We're back at the hotel typing in the business center, looking out the window to a huge snowstorm. It's pretty but we just hope we're not going to get stuck here when our plane is supposed to leave tomorrow morning.

Oh well...we'll figure it out. We're almost parents now.

We're not sure if we will blog more tonight but we definitely will when we get to Moscow tomorrow.

Please keep sending us messages.

Love,
Coby and Brandy

P.S. Mom we are checking emails too.

12 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

I'm so glad you get another visit!! Too funny about the explosion!! Welcome to parenthood!!

Becky and Keith said...

hehehe... I think you ARE diving nose first! Snow storm? In October?? YIKES! I hope you are able to get out tomorrow without any problems! (or is it today?)

Jane and Jim said...

Wow, I can't believe there's snow already...although, I guess it is SIBERIA!
I'm sure this is only the first of several explosions to come.
I can't believe your trip is almost over - it seemed really fast to me!
Good luck with the flights - I hope they're better this go round.

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

I love knowing that you were able to specifically request a different time of day to visit and certain people for him to interact with! That's good information for us prior to our first trip - which should be happening later this month.

It's fantastic that you get some additional time this afternoon. I hope parting is not too terribly painful for you! Bless your hearts. I'll be praying for your safe travels home.

Take good care and thank you for your posts!

Carla

Safta Datya said...

You have been inducted to parenthood . You will have many explosions of various kinds in you life. It's all part of the deal. As long as you remember to laugh about them. Hope you found Neil feeling better when you went back.
I have gotten several Russian emails in response to mine. I assumed something was messed up in the set up in the computer you are using. Perhaps you need to set it to answer in English. Try again to send an we'll see.
Have a safe trip back. Love, Mom

MandyJo013078 said...

Oh geez diaper blow outs already! Just think in a few months he'll be at home w/ you and you'll be able to give him a nice bath and the blowouts won't seem so bad! I'll keep you two in my prayers due to my worry of the bad russian drivers and the added worry of a snowstorm. I hope your travels home are safe and uneventful! MandyJo

Carey and Norman said...

I'm so glad your visits are going well and you are able to spend much time with little Neil. We also had the poopy accident on our visit. Of course our daughter is three, but she kept moving her leg (a sign of needing to go) and when I took her I thought she just needed to pee, so when I lifted her off the toilet poop went all over the floor. Oops. I guess you can join us in the Parents of the Year Club! Hehe.

We are so glad you are getting so much time to spend with Neil (we were excited to read you got two visits in one day). I think that will be very beneficial for him to get to know you and your smells!

Many Blessings and Prayers are sent your way. Have a safe trip home!!

Christy said...

Bummer! Having no children myself, I guess I pictured these first visits looking something like a Downy commercial, not like you described it....

We are SO excited for you. Thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date. Have a wonderful visit this afternoon, and a safe trip to Moscow.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brandy & Coby, I just re-read your Up-date. Not sure who the tea was for----check your e-mail I sent one. Just keep watching with open eyes, take notes--Praying this process goes even faster than anyone ever though. Miss hearing your voices-- Grace & peace be unto you, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ--I thank God upon every remembrance of you---Always in every prayer of mine for you all, making request with Joy---Being Confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will preform it... Philippians 1:2-6 Love ya, Mom

Cathy said...

Hi...we adopted our son from Baby Home #2 also & have had lots of explosions. Our little guy came home with giardia so when you get him home definitely have him tested for this. Enjoy the remaining time with him & I hope you get a quick court date!
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys are on cloud nine. The stories are very funny. I remember one blowout at our house was so bad, I couldn't for the life of me leave the bedroom without wanting to heave.
Thankfully somebody invented Mom's, you guys must have super smell repellant when the time comes.
Have a very safe trip home, before you know it you'll be back and taking him home for good. Won't that be exciting!

Take Care, Todd V
p.s. Coby....Padres and Chargers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glued to these blogs like an addiction! They are so fun to read and it's like we are all sharing in your joy and blessing! You've had everything from those sweet moments to the blowout funny ones adn I'd say your visit couldn't have been better. Everything seems to be going so well! Everyone is so excited for you!!

Love,

Shauna